Mr. Perfect Ch. 10



Money, cars, and cocaine, ruled my life from the time I was 13 years old. I met

Natalie when I was 15 years old. It was the summer of 1991. She was getting ready to

start her first year of high school. And I was going to the 10th grade. I barely passed my

freshman year of high school because I had become entrenched in the street life. Selling

dope, stealing cars, and armed robbery. My mom gave me $75 to go to the county fair and

I used it to go buy me a pistol because I had been robbed the night before for all my

money and a pill bottle full of crack. A nigga that I thought was my friend had set me up.

Natalie knew I was in the streets and selling rocks but it was cool to be a thug and all the

good girls wanted them a hot boy. 2 weeks into my 10th grade year I was expelled for

fighting. I knew education was important to my future and I knew that my life was going

to change for the worst after I got expelled. I began to spend more time in the streets and

committing any crime that I thought would put some money in my pocket. I gave my

mother what ever I could to help with the bills and take care of my two little brothers.

When I wasn’t selling dope or stealing cars, I was at Natalies house. We lived in the same

apartment complex and both of our mothers worked the night shift. She had one little

brother we called Nuky and an older brother named Deon. He was a few years older than

me and he was doing the same thing in the streets as every other young nigga our age

was doing. Robbing and selling dope. We were the results of the crack cocaine epidemic

that exploded in the early 80’s. He was in a juvenile prison when I met his little sister and

was there for 2 years. A few days before Christmas , Deon and 2 of his friends went to

rob a dude named Stacy that was selling dope out of his grandmothers home. Stacy lived

there and took care of his grandmother. Deon saw a diamond ring in the mall that he wanted to buy his mother for Christmas which was 4 days away. They went in like they

wanted to buy a few ounces of crack. While they were in the back room making the

transaction Deon pulled out a 9mm and told the Stacy to give him all the money and

dope. His grandmother sat in the living room in a wheelchair with no idea what was going

on. “Nigga we can do this the easy way or the hard way” !!! “All we want is the money

and the dope, so don’t make this no murder”!!! Stacy gave them everything they asked for

and they began to walk through the house and out of the front door. Deon was the last one

to walk out , but they had left Stacy in the back room. While they were on the way out

Stacy grabbed his pistol that was hidden under his pillow. He opened fire and the flash of

the pistol lit up the dark hallway and made an explosive sound as he squeezed the trigger

6 times. All 6 bullets ripped through Deon’s back and burst through his chest penetrating

his lungs and heart and exiting through his chest. His grandmother sat silently in the

wheel chair. She still didn’t know what was happening right next to her because she was

def and blind due to her old age. Deon fell in the threshold of the door and the blood

came pouring out of his chest from the bullet holes. He had the crack still clutched in his

hand when he fell face first. The big, round, cookie shaped circles of crack cocaine were

covered in dark red blood when the paramedics turned his lifeless body over. He was

dead , and even though Stacy was selling dope and had a gun, the police refused to charge

him with anything. They never even placed him in handcuffs. Natalie called me around 2

a.m. crying and telling me what happened. I jumped out of my bed and got dressed to go

around to her apartment to comfort her. Her mother was understandably hysterical along

with Natalie. I held her in my arms until the sun came up. We had only been together for

 

6 months, but after that night, we were bonded for life. Stacy was shook so bad that he

stopped selling dope and nearly lost his mind. It’s been over 20 years since this happened

and when I see Stacy, I can tell that he is still haunted by what took place. Natalie used

the death of her brother to encourage herself to excel in school. We stayed together and I

made her my main lady. I stayed in the streets selling dope and she stayed in the books

getting her education. But with our mothers both working at night, it gave us too much

time and opportunity to be alone. She was a virgin , but all that changed when we fell in

love with one another. We had been together for 4 years when I got into the terrible car

accident with the semi truck coming from St. Petersburg. I got home late that night and

she was at my mothers house waiting for me to get home from the hospital. I was hurt and

cut up bad from the glass. But when I walked into the house she ran up to me crying

asking me if I was o.k. We went into my bedroom and made love until the next day. I

wasn’t hurt that bad !!! The whole city was talking about the accident because I had a

large amount of cocaine in the car and they had to close down Interstate 75 from Ocala to

Tampa and it was all over the news. The semi truck that we hit was hauling gas and it

spilled out when the truck rolled over. I lied and told her my cousin was driving the rental

when we crashed but a guy that went to school with her, and had a crush on her told

Natalie that I had another female driving me back when we crashed the rental car. He told

her that I had been going with Toshia for over a year behind her back. She ended up

breaking up with me because she was hurt. She wouldn’t answer my calls and avoided me

for 2 months. One day out of the blue she called me and told me I need to come over so

that we could talk. When I got there she was crying and I just figured that she really was

missing me and wanted to get back together. I sat down next to her on her mothers couch

and she looked at me and said, “Eric, are you ready to be a father”? I damn near fell out

on the floor. Turns out, after calculating the time of conception, that we had made a life

together on the exact same day that I nearly lost my own life in that car accident. I was so

happy and I thought about the promise that I made to myself years before I even met

Natalie. I had promised myself that whoever I had my children from was going to be the

woman I would marry and spend the rest of my life with. And now here she is. Now all I

had to do was convince her to come back to me. She was still hurt about the way I had

cheated on her and deceived her for so long. Eventually we got back together and stayed

together for 15 years. We got married and had 3 children together. D’asia was first born

Natalie was 9 months pregnant when she walked across the stage to get her high school

diploma. She graduated June 7th and gave birth to D’asia on June 13th. And I was right

there when she was born. It was the first, happiest day of my life. We named her D’asia

Alexus Harris. My world had changed and all of a sudden I didn’t want to sell dope

anymore. I knew that I had to be there for my child and give her all the things that I didn’t

have as a child. I sold my box chevy and my rims to buy Natalie a car. I even went and

got me a job in an attempt to leave the dope game. Natalie gave birth to our beautiful

daughter and went straight on to college without missing a step. She got an apartment and

we moved in together. A little over a year later she was pregnant again with my second

daughter Erionna Venisha Harris, a year later she was pregnant again with my son, Eric

Lamar Harris Jr. We had us a family and I was a proud father. I was still selling dope but I

kept it a secret from Natalie. We had more than the average couples our age and she

eventually figured out what I was doing. Maybe the half kilo of cocaine she found in my

shoe box gave it away. But by that time she was so spoiled and used to the money, it

didn’t matter to her as long as I didn’t get caught. But while she was giving birth to Eric

Jr. the feds came and arrested me at the hospital. We were devastated. Natalie had several

college degrees and I was headed to federal prison leaving her alone with 3 children. I

was charged with cocaine conspiracy and sentenced to 5 years. I had to do 3 years in

prison and 2 years on federal probation. I decided to use my time wisely and study

business while I was there. I learned about the Urban Market and found that it was a 
$7 billion dollar a year industry in 1999. They added up all the music sales, clothing, 

automobile sales, movies, and every dollar that the Urban / Hip Hop market generated,

and it was an absolutely astonishing number. I figured that was the market I needed to be

in. So I began to write a business plan that would allow me to monopolize the Urban

Market in 10 years. I called it Urban Biz Directory. Urban Biz Directory is a business

directory of Black business owners and entrepreneurs who believe in the value of sharing

information and resources. Our goal is to become a leader in identifying and connecting

black business owners and professionals. My idea is to advertise for these companies free

of charge and advertise for major corporations for a fee. My dream is to bridge the gap

between the ghettos of America and Corporate America. For too long, Corporate America

has taken the styles and culture of the street life and turned it into a multi-million dollar

business. From apparel (loose fit Levi's), to automobile designs(Chrysler), to

entertainment(Vanilla Ice), wall street continues to generate billions of dollars in revenue

off of the blood, sweat, and tears of those who created these ideas. They take our culture

from us and then sell it back to us at a price that the average person can not afford. That is

the driving force behind crime and oppression in the projects and run down ghettos that

we live in today. The mission of my corporation is to create our own Wall Street. I call it

Urban Wall Street! We aim to create a new way of life for oppressed individuals through

spiritual growth, education, business, and the adversities we face in our everyday lives.

By monopolizing the Urban Market, the sky is the limit when it comes to success. Urban

Biz Directory is not only a directory for African American owned businesses, but also a

tool to teach young black men and women how to start a business. A social economic

network of minority owned companies will allow information on goods and services to be

readily available for those who seek it. This will not only create jobs, but also change the

lives of millions who live in despair. The directory is meant to be interactive. A major

network of those who have overcome the odds and those seeking assitance with

overcoming those same odds. All we ask is that the businesses that sign up help troubled

youth and convicted felons learn how to start their own business. I studied hard for those

3 years and wrote me a business plan. But I was broke when I got out. My son didn’t

know me and started crying when I walked through the door and tried to pick him up. He

was 3 years old and afraid of me.

After I played catch up with Natalie and my kids, it was time for me to get on my grind. I

found a job at a local seafood factory. Those checks were no where near enough to

support my wife and 3 kids. Let alone start a business. So I went back to what I knew

best. Selling dope. And with that, I took off like a rocket. In less than a year, I was

making so much cash that we bought a house in my hometown of Crystal River, Fl. I

opened up a clothing store, which was the first stage of my business plan, and I bought a

brand new 4 door Dodge Ram truck. I was back on top and everything was beautiful. I

was happy but I couldn’t say the same for Natalie. I was deeply in love with the mother of

my children. She was also my wife but I couldn’t understand what was going on with her.

We both were in our early 20’s.We had a mortgage, several vehicles, no outside kids and

a successful business. I had 20 to 50 pounds of high grade weed coming in weekly from a

connect I met in the feds from El Paso, Texas which was on the Mexican border. Natalie

was smoking a lot of weed because I kept garbage bags of it in the closet of our bedroom.

She was drinking a little, but 1 beer or a half of a blunt would make her pass out like she

drunk a gallon of gin. Her attitude was changing and she was being extremely abusive

towards me and even towards the children. The slightest thing would make her snap. It

got so bad that I ended up separating from her and moving back to Gainesville. I got an

apartment there and began to start over. I ended up keeping my store open and also

opened a second location in Starke, Fl. The kids started calling me on a regular basis

telling me that their mother was acting strange. She was leaving them home alone and

coming home late so drunk that she passed out in the door way. I was worried and

concerned about her and my children. The last straw was when D’asia called me and said

that her mother’s cousin came and took all of their brand new school clothes and sold

them for drugs. She said, “daddy my mom just let her do it”. I was very confused and

upset. I talked to a few people and even some her own family members said that I needed

to take the children. There was another incident when the kids were in the back seat of a

car that her cousin had stolen from some guy that sold drugs. When the guy caught up to

her she put him on a high speed chase and crashed the car into a ditch. The guy jumped

out and ran up to the car and put a gun to her cousins head. He pulled the trigger but the

gun was jammed and wouldn’t shoot. Natalie was in the passenger seat and my kids were

in the back seat of the car. I was ready to kill somebody at that point but I knew that

wouldn’t make my kids safe. I didn’t know how to do it legally so I called the police in

Crystal River, and they contacted DCF. They went to the house and gave her a cup to get

a urine sample. Somehow, while the social worker wasn’t paying attention, Natalie had

my then 10 year old daughter D’asia to pee in the cup for the drug test because she knew

it would show positive for marijuana. When they tested the urine it came up clean. The

children told them that they were afraid to live there any longer but Natalie convinced the

social worker from DCF that I was just trying to ruin her life by lying on her. And of

course they took her side. They left the house and called me to tell me that they would

have me charged with filing a false report if I called them again. I was simply out done

with the whole situation. The next day my daughter called me crying. She said, “daddy,

mom threw me on the ground and kicked me in my stomach because I told you about her

making me pee in the cup for her”. I was furious and decided to just go and take the

children and bring them to live with me in Gainesville. I went to the house and packed

their things and took them to live with me. I have had enough. I enrolled them into school

and began to search for a home big enough for us. I knew it had been a tough time for

them with me going to prison and then the problems with their mother. I just wanted them

to be happy and comfortable and they expressed to me that they were. Their grades never

dropped and they even started to do better than before. They brought home many

academic awards and certificates for good behavior. They had been with me for about a

year when their grandmother called me early one morning weeping through the phone.

She said, “Eric, Natalie is in the hospital. She passed out last night while standing outside

talking to a friend. She fell and couldn’t get up and started screaming and calling for me

and asking what was wrong with herself. The ambulance came to take her to the hospital

in Crystal River where they ran a brain scan. They said that she had suffered a stroke and

they seen something on the cat scan that didn’t look good. So they had to put her on a

Life-Flight helicopter to a hospital in Tampa that specializes in brain conditions”. I sat

there for a second and didn’t even realize that tears had started running down my eyes.

This was the problem all along. I got into my car and drove to Tampa with the children. I

explained to them the best I could about what was going on. When we got to Tampa some

of her family was already there. I walked in to see her and she didn’t look well. I kissed

her on the forehead and told her that the kids where there. She opened her eyes and

looked at me and attempted a smile. It wasn’t looking good. The doctors called me into

another room and gave me the news. “Mr. Harris, your wife has a condition called AVM

and it is stage 5. We think she will maybe live another 6 moths to a year. My world

stopped spinning. I was still selling dope trying to do my best as a single father. What if

she dies and I go to back prison again ? What in the hell will happen to my kids? Wow, I

was crushed and confused. I didn’t want my kids to see me cry. So I walked out of the

hospital in Tampa with my kids, and we went to the State Fair. I didn’t know what else to

do. All I knew was I wanted to see my children smile even though I was in pain. I wanted

to see them smile because they had no idea , at that moment , how much pain that was

ahead. Their relatives at the hospital started urging me to tell my children that their

mother didn’t have long to live. But I said hell no, because you do not know my God, and

he does not wear a white jacket ! I couldn’t tell my kids something like that. What if she

didn’t die and my kids waking up everyday worried about if their mother was still alive. I

refused to do it and told them if any of them told my children they would regret it. Her

mother had already lost a son now her daughter has been diagnosed with a terminal

illness. I prayed and cried, and prayed and cried some more. We finally got back home to

Gainesville 3 days later. The kids had to go to school but their mother was still in the

hospital. It was around 1 p.m. when I put my key in the door a business card fell out to

my feet. I picked it up and read it. The back of it said ,”Mr. Harris, please give me a call

as soon as possible about an urgent matter”. I turned it over to see who it was from. It was

an agent from the DEA. Damn…………
Previous
Next Post »
Thanks for your comment